Friday, May 14, 2010

Thermal Cooler Cover

We are getting ready for our first camping trip of the year.  And in this hot Florida weather, Your cooler fights to stay cold even in the shade.

I know last year, we must have bought 20 bags of ice over our weekend trip.  So Im trying this out to see if it helps.

I sewed a Thermal cooler cover for our big white Igloo cooler.


So this is how I made it. Pick out the cooler you want to use, I used our large white Igloo cooler.


I measured the size of the cooler.  I went to the store and bought the solar window shades for $2 each, bought 3 for the cover and 1 to sit the cooler on.

I measured the height of the cooler and cut the panel to that size. Leaving one sice with the sewn edge for the bottom.

Which also cuts off the opening for the rear view mirror.   Pined together, and when done, I used some gray duct tape to reinforce the edges, and seal the sewn edges. 

Then turn the right side out, and see how it fits.  I left the elastic loops on, so I can fold it up and store it. So I hope this help keep the cooler cool a little more this summer on our week long trip.  I will sit if on top of an extra one so the bottom stays cool as well.



So do you think this will help. I sure hope so, Cost was $6 for cover.  $2 extra for one to sit on. So not bad for $8. 

Thanks for stopping by!
Sharon

7 comments:

Caroline said...

looks fantastic Sharon, what a great idea!

Colleen said...

How did it work on your first campout? Found you via popupportal!

Sharon said...

It worked great. We love it, keeps the ice for several days.

PERMANENT POSIES said...

This will keep out the pesky racoons too. They seem to be able open coolers at will...hah.

Michael Dorn said...

That looks like a really great solution to keeping ice from melting too fast when camping. Tackling it from another direction, I have seen people use two coolers, one with a piece of dry ice kept under a false bottom and the stuff you want to keep cold (really cold) above that bottom. The false bottom is to keep people from 'burning' themselves on the dry ice and to keep food from freezing. Move the frozen items over to your regular cooler a day or two before you plan on eating them or they will be too frozen to eat. Kroger has recently begun to carry dry ice in their stores which makes this method more available to people.

Laurie said...

Wow!! $2.00 I'm in Ontario, Canada. A month ago I paid $18.00 for my new sunshade for our van. I was just reading last night about this type of material on a roll at hardware stores. Reflextic? Something like that. Your way was likely cheaper if you can get the sunshades that cheap.

Sharon said...

Yes, it was pretty cheap and works awesome! The Reflectix works great as well. We pick that up at Lowes for $25 and use it in the camper windows in the summer. Its pure hot here in Florida!http://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-50-sq-ft-Reflective-Roll-Insulation-24-in-W-x-25-ft-L/3011904