Saturday, May 1, 2010

My First try with the DO (Dutch Oven)

I bought a DO last Oct at Harbor Freight.  And had not used it yet.   So today, I talked the hubby in to raising the pup enough to flip the galley and dig out the DO.   Man, it was nice to see the inside of the pup again, LOL!

Okay, so since this was my first try, I looked up every thing on the net.  And tried to follow directions, the best I could.

So. I usually work with propane with my grills.  But when cooking with at DO.  I read its best to use Charcoal.  I dont use that.  So read on that, and the suggested is Kingsford (Blue and White bag)  As its compacted harder, and burns longer,  and DO NOT use the match light stuff.  In fact, You dont need any Lighter fluid, Yep, you read that right.  I had no clue, so I picked up some any way, just in case. 

So , I found this website,"Your-Camping-Guidebook.com" that tells you how to make a charcoal chimney out of a coffee can.  I just happen to have only one can in my shed, that holds all the gloves.  So I tossed them out, and cut the bottom out.


  I didnt have any newspaper so I used a old phone book and just ripped out the pages and balled them up and packed them tight in the bottom.  Then added the coals.  From what I read you need 18-20 to make 350 degrees.  So I added 20  and then sat that on top of 3 so I had a total of 23 coals.

I lite the bottom, it smoked pretty bad, but afer 20 minutes, the coals were glowing red and were ash white.  That was amazing. No lighter fluid at all. WOW!


So then I made my first mistake, I found out later. But not a major one.  I wasnt sure if the coals would be hot. so I cooked the meat and Onions in the house in a frying pan. I should of cooked it in the DO so it would have already been hot. But I now know for next time so that altered the cooking time.   So I used a DO liner for easy clean up.  And layerd all the stuff for the Lasagna. 


When the coals were hot, I removed the can, put a few in a ring set the DO on top. And put the rest on the top.  From what I read,  the More you have on top. It gives a baking effect.  The more you have on bottom. It cooks more then bake.   



I let it cook for just over an Hour. and it was almost done, but my coals were gone because it was windy out, so they burned faster.  So I just put it in the house oven for 15 minutes and it finished just fine.  And man, did it taste good.  And clean up was easy with the liners.

Here is before it was cooked
And after it was cooked, Man was it good!


Tomorrow we are trying Peach Dump cake. Yum!

Thanks for stopping by! 
Sharon

No comments: